Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology
Program Number: 10-601-1
School Year: 2013-2014
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: West Bend
The rapid regulation of the air conditioning, heating and refrigeration industry means high demand for qualified and certified technicians for residential and commercial applications.
The Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R) program teaches students how to install, repair and perform preventative maintenance for heating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment. Coursework emphasizes efficient operation of equipment to ensure the lowest possible energy cost that the design allows. Students integrate the electronic controls from the equipment to the building or computer-operated environmental network. In addition, students study how to make the indoor living environment comfortable, air balancing, occupant comfort conditions, and indoor air quality testing.
This program offers extensive hands-on training. Students work with residential furnaces and air conditioning units and learn about commercial heating and cooling and building equipment, such as chillers, and refrigeration equipment, such as icemakers, walk-in freezers and many other pieces of equipment.
HVAC/R technicians should be good analytical thinkers and problem solvers.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Install residential heating, ventilation and air conditiong equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service residential heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Install commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment.
- Install commercial refrigeration equipment.
- Commission (start up) and service commercial refrigeration equipment.
- Air Balancing Technician
- Air-Conditioning Technician
- Facility Maintenance
- Heating Technician
- Refrigeration Servicing Technician
- Service Representative
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Admissions to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|601-107||Electricity and Electronics HVAC||3|
|601-120||Fundamentals of Refrigeration||2|
|601-121||Refrigeration Service Techniques||2|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|- OR -|
|804-113||College Technical Math 1A||3|
|601-108||Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Schematics||2|
|601-119||Geothermal Heat Pumps||2|
|601-122||Residential Air Conditioning||3|
|601-127||Fundamentals of Building Controls||2|
|809-196||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|601-123||Residential Heating Systems||3|
|601-128||Building Control Systems Applications||3|
|601-129||Commercial Food Service Refrigeration||3|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|601-116||Hydronic Environmental Systems||3|
|601-134||Commercial Heating and Air Conditioning||4|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|809-199||Psychology of Human Relations||3|
|Required Elective Credits||6|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||71|
Capstone Projects or Troubleshooting Hands-on Application Investigations are an exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology, 2013-2014
- Air Conditioning, Heating and Refrigeration Technology, 2012-2013
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.