Program Number: 10-602-3
School Year: 2015-2016
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac
The Automotive Technology program is offered as a four-semester associate degree. Students learn to diagnose, service, and repair all eight major systems of the automobile which includes engine mechanical, engine performance, automatic transmission/transaxle, manual drive train, brakes, steering and suspension, climate control, and electrical and electronic systems. Mechanical aptitude, communication skills and an interest in the automotive industry are important to a successful automotive technician career. Graduates of the associate degree program have opportunities to further their education that may lead beyond the projected career paths of technicians in dealerships or other automotive repair facilities, service specialists, parts specialists, or as service writers/consultants. This program prepares students for ASE certification.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $125.85 per credit (resident)
- $188.80 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- $128.40 per credit (resident)
- $192.60 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the auto service industry.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive internal combustion engines.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive automatic transmission/transaxle systems.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive manual drive train and axles systems.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive steering and suspension systems.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive brake systems.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive electrical/electronic systems.
- Acquire certification for Federal EPA and State of Wisconsin in mobile refrigerant recovery and recycling.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive heating and air conditioning systems.
- Perform diagnosis, service and repair of automotive engine performance systems.
- Prepare for ASE certification testing.
- Automotive Technician
- Automotive Specialist
- Parts Specialist
- Service Writer/Consultant
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
Program Admission Requirement
- 998-171 Auto New Student Orientation
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|602-107||Auto Service Fundamentals||2|
|602-124||Steering and Suspension Systems||3|
|602-125||Electrical and Electronic Systems 1||2|
|623-105||Metals for Technicians||1|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|442-101||Welding for Automotive Technicians||1|
|602-103||Engine Repair 1||2|
|602-127||Electrical and Electronic Systems 2||3|
|602-128||Electrical and Electronic Systems 3||3|
|602-197||Engine Performance 1||3|
|806-137||Comprehensive Technical Physics||4|
|602-123||Engine Repair 2||3|
|602-196||Climate Control Systems||3|
|602-198||Engine Performance 2||4|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|602-132||Light Duty Diesel Engine Operation||2|
|602-149||Manual Drive Train and Axles||4|
|602-195||Advanced Chassis Systems||2|
|809-199||Psychology of Human Relations||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||70|
Licensure/certification exams are an exit assessment graduation requirement for the program: Successful completion of Mobile Refrigerant Handling Licensure and ASE Student Exams.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Additional Program Requirements
Students must wear Moraine Park approved program uniform. Tool kit recommended for purchase for this program.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.