Program Number: 31-502-1
School Year: 2013-2014
Technical Diploma (1 year)
Campus: Fond du Lac
Moraine Park’s Cosmetology technical diploma is a 16-month daytime program and a 24-month evening program that prepares graduates for the state Cosmetology Licensing Exam. Students begin by learning classroom theory and fundamental skill development. Then students will apply their skills in the recently renovated, state-of-the-art salon where they perform client services including: shampoos, hair colors, hair styles, facials, scalp treatment, manicures and permanent waves. Students also attend area beauty shows and hear guest presentations from industry artists.
Individuals interested in this field should have a strong interest in personal appearance, have artistic creativity and enjoy working with people. In addition, this career requires individuals to have the stamina to stand for longer periods to perform salon services. Class attendance is critical.
Daytime program start dates are August 2013 and January 2014. (Classes run Monday - Friday.)
Evening program with start dates of August 2013 and August 2015. (Classes run Monday -Thursday evenings & Saturdays, except during the summer.)
Students must be accepted into the program prior to enrolling in the courses. All fees must be paid prior to program start. Class size is limited to the first 20 paid students. Early enrollment is encouraged. Students are strongly encouraged to get on the waiting list. If class space becomes available, wait-list students are offered the spots. See an admissions specialist for more information.
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $122.20 per credit (resident)
- $183.30 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Apply hair styling techniques.
- Demonstrate chemical services (permanent waving and chemical relaxing).
- Demonstrate core abilities.
- Demonstrate nail care services.
- Determine services required to meet client needs.
- Develop strategies to market products and services.
- Perform shampoo and scalp services.
- Provide haircutting services.
- Perform skin care services.
- Perform color services.
- Platform Artist
- Spa Services
- Makeup Artist
- Skin Care
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Admissions to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|502-301||Hairstyling, Shampooing and Scalp Treatment||2|
|502-311||Haircutting, Basic Forms||2|
|502-334||Permanent Wave Techniques||2|
|502-345||Hair Color Applications||1|
|502-302||Hairstyling, Basic Techniques||2|
|502-335||Permanent Wave, Design Wraps||1|
|502-346||Lightening and Toning||1|
|502-321||Salon Services 1||2|
|502-337||Advanced Design Wraps||1|
|502-348||Highlighting and Corrective Color||1|
|Basic Math Proficiency (Term 3 or 4)|
|502-303||Hairstyling, Updos and Braids||1|
|502-313||Short and Trend Cuts||1|
|502-322||Salon Services 2||3|
|502-330||Facials/Skin Structure and Its Disorders||3|
|502-323||Salon Services 3||3|
|502-333||Chemical Relaxing and Wigs||1|
|502-324||Salon Services 4||4|
|502-356||Laws and Rules||1|
|502-325||Salon Services 5||3|
|502-355||Anatomy and Book Final||1|
|801-310||Occupational Communication (continued)|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||48|
The Mock State Board Exam is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
Note: Students must purchase a kit and name badge for this program.
This program is also offered in an evening format. Evening program students will take the same courses, but they will be in a different order than listed above. Please click on the Evening Matrix link for more information.