Program Number: 10-170-2
School Year: 2015-2016
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus: Fond du Lac, offered through Lakeshore Technical College
You’ve seen high-profile trials with a person keying the testimony into a stenograph machine or read the scrolling captions for the hearing-impaired on your TV screen. The person recording the spoken words at speeds ranging from 180 to 225 words a minute is a court reporter. If you’re an excellent listener, have strong language and communications skills, and are committed to accuracy and confidentiality, a career in court reporting may be a perfect fit for you.
Lakeshore Technical College offers its Court Reporting program in cooperation with technical colleges across the state. As a court reporting student, you'll attend live, interactive TV classes sent from Lakeshore Technical College to Moraine Park. General studies classes and labs can be taken at Moraine Park.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $125.85 per credit (resident)
- $188.80 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- *Fees shown are 2014-2015 fees; 2015-2016 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Develop proficiency in machine shorthand using realtime theory.
- Produce salable transcripts on a realtime translation system.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper reporting procedures and responsibilities for freelance and official reporting.
- Demonstrate knowledge of legal and medical concepts and terminology.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the professional reporting organizations and methods of gaining certification as a Registered Professional Reporter.
- Develop a personal dictionary, read, translate, and edit transcripts using CAT (computer-aided transcription) software.
- Legislative Reporter
- Official Court Reporter in the Court System
- Freelance Reporter
The admission process for a shared program should be completed at the host college granting the degree. Please submit the following to Lakeshore Technical College:
- College admission application
- $30 one-time fee
- High school and other official college transcripts
- College assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). Note: The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with a representative at the host college to review course sequencing.
- Check with the host college if any additional steps are required.
|Moraine Park Courses|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|- OR -|
|801-195||Written Communication (LTC)||3|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|- OR -|
|809-122||Introduction to American Government||3|
|- OR -|
|809-172||Introduction to Diversity Studies||3|
|809-196||Introduction to Sociology||3|
|- OR -|
|- OR -|
|804-123||Math with Business Applications (LTC)||3|
|- OR -|
|806-112||Principles of Sustainability (LTC)||3|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|170-105||Realtime Reporting 2 (LTC)||5|
|170-106||Realtime Reporting 1 (LTC)||5|
|170-108||Realtime Reporting Speed Development (LTC)||2|
|170-109||Literary 1 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|170-111||Literary 2 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|170-128||Jury Charge 1 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|170-129||Jury Charge 2 - Advanced (LTC)||2|
|170-141||Court Reporting Procedures (LTC)||2|
|170-144||Realtime Reporting Orientation (LTC)||1|
|170-145||Court Reporting Internship (LTC)||1|
|170-156||Testimony 1 - Advanced (LTC)||3|
|170-157||Testimony 2 - Advanced (LTC)||3|
|170-159||Realtime Reporting Technology (LTC)||2|
|170-160||Legal Terminology (LTC)||1|
|170-171||Medical Reporting and Terminology (LTC)||2|
|170-184||English for Realtime Reporters (LTC)||1|
|170-804||Realtime Reporting 1 Lab (LTC)||1|
|170-805||Realtime Reporting 2 Lab (LTC)||1|
|170-809||Literary 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|170-811||Literary 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|170-828||Jury Charge 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|170-829||Jury Charge 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|170-857||Testimony 2 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|170-859||Testimony 1 Lab - Advanced (LTC)||1|
|Beginning Courses Required Prior to Advanced Courses|
|170-121||Jury Charge 1 - Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-122||Jury Charge 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-113||Literary 1 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-114||Literary 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-153||Testimony 1 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-154||Testimony 2 – Beginner||2 crs.|
|170-161||Realtime Reporting Technology Advanced||2 crs.|
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.