General Studies Certificate
Program Number: 97-809-1
School Year: 2015-2016
Campus: Beaver Dam, Fond du Lac, West Bend, Online
Moraine Park’s General Studies Certificate is designed for individuals who wish to continue their education but aren’t sure what career path fits their needs. Students start with classes that lay the foundation to other degree offerings or they can apply their new academic skills in the workplace. While doing certificate coursework, students are encouraged to take advantage of free career exploration services and instruction to find a direction for their educational and career goals.
Graduates of the certificate may choose to transfer the credits directly into a Moraine Park program. Many of the credits may also transfer to a four-year college or university.
For further information regarding the General Studies Certificate, please contact Dr. Caron Daugherty , the Dean of General and International Education, at 920-924-3163.
- $125.85 per credit (resident)
- $188.80 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- *Fees shown are 2014-2015 fees; 2015-2016 fees will be available as soon as they are approved.
- Improve/upgrade employment opportunities.
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Academic Advisor to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (strongly encouraged).
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|Choose three associate level courses from a minimum of three areas (minimum of nine credits):|
|Communication (in addition to 801-136 English Composition 1 requirement)|
|801-1xx||Associate level communication course|
|804-1xx||Associate level mathematics course|
|806-1xx||Associate level science course|
|809-1xx||Associate level social science course|
|809-1xx||Associate level behavioral science course|
|Total Certificate Credits||14|
- General Studies Certificate, 2015-2016
- General Studies Certificate, 2014-2015
- General Studies Certificate, 2013-2014
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
Who Should Consider General Studies
- High school seniors unsure of what major they should pursue at a technical college or university
- Adults returning to school without a clear career path in mind
- Adults returning to school who want to update their general studies skills
How Does General Studies Work?
General Studies is a two-semester certificate. (Students may choose to take longer to complete.) It has two required courses, including College 101 and English Composition 1. Students will select additional courses from a range of General Education offerings.
With the knowledge gained in your technical college courses, a technical college transcript, and a clearer idea of your career goals, you may decide to:
- Apply the credits to a Moraine Park associate of applied science degree or technical diploma program.
- Transfer to another technical college.
- Transfer the credits to a Wisconsin private or public four-year college.
- Enter the workforce better prepared to be successful.