Medical Laboratory Technician
Program Number: 10-513-1
School Year: 2015-2016
Associate of Applied Science Degree
Campus*: Fond du Lac
At career entry, the medical laboratory technician will be able to perform routine clinical laboratory tests (such as hematology, clinical chemistry, immunohematology, microbiology, serology/ immunology, coagulation, molecular and other emerging diagnostics) as the primary analyst making specimen-oriented decisions on predetermined criteria, including a working knowledge of critical values. Communications skills will extend to frequent interactions with members of the healthcare team, external relations, customer service and patient education. The level of analysis ranges from waived and point of care testing to complex testing encompassing all major areas of the medical laboratory. The medical laboratory technician will have diverse functions in areas of preanalytical, analytical and post-analytical processes. The medical laboratory technician will have responsibilities for information processing, training and quality control monitoring wherever medical laboratory testing is performed.
The program is accredited by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS, 5600 N. River Road, Suite 720, Rosemont, IL 60018; Phone: 773-714-8880). Upon graduation, students are eligible to sit for the National Board of Certification Exam through the ASCP.
Statewide Median Salary for Recent Graduates
- $128.40 per credit (resident)
- $192.60 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Apply modern clinical methodologies including problem solving and troubleshooting according to predetermined criteria.
- Collect and process biological and other specimens.
- Monitor and evaluate quality control in the laboratory.
- Practice laboratory safety and regulatory compliance.
- Perform information processing in the clinical laboratory.
- Model professional behaviors, ethics and appearance.
- Correlate laboratory results to diagnosis of clinical conditions and/or diseases.
- Graduates may find employment as a Medical Laboratory Technician in hospitals, clinics, doctor's offices, state and federal labs, and private/commercial laboratories. Opportunities also exist in commercial industries, medical supply companies, scientific research and infection control.
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Attend a program orientation with your advisor.
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
Clinical Admissions Requirements:
- 806-177 General Anatomy and Physiology (4 credits)
- Must complete the series of three hepatitis B immunizations
|103-159||**Computer Literacy - Microsoft Office||1|
|513-110||Basic Lab Skills||1|
|513-113||Quality Assurance and Laboratory Math||1|
|513-115||Basic Immunology Concepts||2|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|806-186||Introduction to Biochemistry||4|
|801-196||Oral and Interpersonal Communication||3|
|513-131||Clinical Chemistry 1||3|
|513-132||Clinical Chemistry 2||2|
|809-166||Introduction to Ethics: Theory and Application||3|
|513-151||Clinical Experience 1||3|
|513-152||Clinical Experience 2||4|
|513-153||Clinical Experience Seminar||4|
|513-170||Introduction to Molecular Diagnostics||2|
|809-198||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||69|
An exit exam is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 103-159 Computer Literacy-Microsoft Office and 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
- Medical Laboratory Technician, 2015-2016
- Medical Laboratory Technician, 2014-2015
- Medical Laboratory Technician, 2013-2014
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.
*Enrollment may limit the campus availability or delivery of certain courses.
For co-curricular activities and opportunities related to this program/certificate, click here.