Medical Office Specialist
Graduates of the Medical Office Specialist program find employment in individual physician’s offices, clinics, outpatient clinics, health insurance companies, laboratories, medical supplies and equipment companies, nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities and public health departments.
Medical Office Specialists combine medical office skills with computer skills. Necessities for the field are strong ethical values and confidentiality standards. Strong human relations skills are important when dealing with the needs of patients on a daily basis.
Major skills learned in the program include:
- Medical Terminology
- Health Insurance/Coding
- Legal and Ethical Compliance in the Healthcare Setting
- Customer Service
- Medical Billing, Scheduling, and Electronic Medical Record Software
- Problem Solving
- Applications Software (Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Medical Transcription of Medical Documents
High school courses helpful in preparing for the program are Medical Terminology, Anatomy, keyboarding, computer software and English.
Graduates of the Medical Office Specialist program may be eligible to write the Certified Medical Administrative Specialist (CMAS) exam offered by the American Medical Technologists (AMT).
Statewide Salary Range for Recent Graduates
- $125.85 per credit (resident)
- $188.80 per credit (out-of-state resident)
- *Online students are not charged out-of-state fees.
- Apply customer service skills.
- Apply coding manual data to the billing process.
- Compose medical correspondence.
- Develop a system to maintain provider schedules.
- Establish criteria for using medical reference sources.
- Identify body systems and diseases AND identify component parts of medical terms.
- Establish and maintain patient charts and electronic medical records.
- Perform medical billing, analyze patient accounts and apply collection procedures.
- Practice confidentiality, legal and ethical standards.
- Prepare insurance claims, referrals and prior authorizations.
- Research medically specific data.
- Utilize telecommunications equipment in a medical setting.
- Medical Office Specialist
- Medical Office Specialist/Specialized Medicine
- Insurance Specialist
- Medical Billing Specialist
- Customer Service Representative
- Medical Receptionist
- Medical Research
- Submit the college admission application.
- Submit the $30 one-time fee.
- Submit high school and other official college transcripts.
- Take the college assessment test (ACCUPLACER, ACT or other). The ACCUPLACER assessment can be taken at MPTC.
- Meet with Academic Advisor to discuss order of courses and prerequisites (required for this program).
- Health Requirements need to be met and a Criminal Background Check is required.
- Check with Admissions if any additional steps are required.
Please visit the Admissions page for general information.
The information below is provided as a federal requirement in an effort to help students make informed educational decisions. Specifically, Gainful Employment aims to provide information related to future potential debt burden in comparison to the expected earnings in a chosen program or field.
|501-107||Introduction to Healthcare Computing||2|
|509-301||Medical Assistant Administrative Procedures||2|
|509-302||Human Body in Health and Disease||3|
|509-307||Medical Office Insurance and Finance||2|
|801-136||English Composition 1||3|
|106-151||Specialized Insurance Claims||3|
|106-152||Electronic Patient Billing||3|
|106-154||Medical Office Administration||4|
|106-160||Medical Office Practicum||2|
|501-108||Pharmacology for Allied Health||2|
|509-309||Medical Law, Ethics and Professionalism||2|
|Total Program Credits and Institutional Requirements||33|
Medical Office Practicum (106-160) is the exit assessment graduation requirement for the program.
** The credits for 890-101 College 101 are Institutional Requirements for graduation. Consequently, they are not part of the program credit requirements.
Additional Program Requirements
Students will need to complete Basic Math Proficiency.
Check out the Credit Transfers page for more information.